Monday, September 26, 2011

The Gathering (Darkness Rising #1) by Kelley Armstrong

The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)
Maya lives with her parents in the wildlife park just outside the small town of Salmon Creek, which is owned and operated by the St. Cloud Corporation. Maya thinks it's ideal that her dad is the park ranger, since she gets to live there in the park and be that much closer to nature. You see, she's always felt more alive when she's in nature and has a special connection to animals. When a new boy comes to town, she learns more about her paw print birthmark and a possible reason for her connections. Add to that Maya's best friend's drowning death, a mysterious person in town asking questions, several cougar encounters, and the threat of wildfire and you can tell that Maya has plenty to keep her busy.

Be aware that this is the first book in what I assume will be a series. Many questions are left unanswered and the story ends with a major cliff-hanger. That said, I enjoyed the story quite a bit. Maya wheedled her way under my skin, and wouldn't you know, I want to find out more about her. Even though some events in the story were predictable, I'm still curious to know what exactly is going on at Salmon Creek with the St. Cloud Corporation and how it relates to Maya's past. (I do have my suspicions!) Although it has a totally different vibe, I'd say any fan of Stiefvater's Shiver will find lots to like in The Gathering. B rating

No comments:

Post a Comment