Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thoughts on Lincoln's Flying Spies: Thaddeus Lowe and the Civil War Balloon Corps by Gail Jarrow

Lincoln's Flying Spies: Thaddeus Lowe and the Civil War Balloon CorpsHaving never heard of the Civil War Balloon Corps, I was curious to read this title. Thaddeus Lowe petitioned Abraham Lincoln and the various Generals of the Army of the Potomac to hire him (and his balloons) to scout and identify the position and numbers of the Confederate Army. Jarrow tells of the trials and triumphs of Lowe's quest -- which generals supported and which didn't.

I enjoyed the various photographs and illustrations in the book, but I just wish there had been a little bit of color. I know the photographs had to be black and white, but I think some color could have been included somewhere! There is a great deal of information presented to the reader, and some may find it difficult to comprehend it all. I found the story, while a fascinating subject, dully written. I doubt if any, except the avid Civil War buff will bother to read it. Still, it could be useful for use with a research project on this topic. C+ rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment