Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bodies from the Ice: Melting Glaciers and the Recovery of the Past by James M. Deem

Bodies from the Ice: Melting Glaciers and the Recovery of the Past
I was totally fascinated with Bodies from the Ice, where we learn about some of the human remains that have been discovered with the melting of glaciers around the world. This book covers Otzi, the mummy from the Copper Age discovered in the Alps, the Incan mummy children found in the Andes, the remains of George Mallery found on Mt. Everest, and the body of a Native American discovered in a glacier in British Columbia. The underlying story of the melting glaciers around the world was brought to my attention many times throughout the book, but I wasn't bombarded with the issue. I didn't feel I was being preached at but instead informed. The illustrations/photographs enhance the information and I think many readers will be lured to this book because of them. Love it when I can find a book that intrigues me, informs me, and then entertains me! I give it an 'A.'

No comments:

Post a Comment