Monday, September 21, 2009

Airman by Eoin Colfer


Since I adore Colfer's Artemis Fowl books, I'm always hesitant to read any of his other stories. I know they aren't going to have the same feel, and I worry that I won't like them.

Conor is the son of the king's head bodyguard and has enjoyed a childhood with much freedom and friendships. He's especially close friends with the king's daughter. One night, Conor overhears plans to murder the king, but is unable to stop the assassination. The conspirators then set him up as the fall guy and send him to jail, hoping he will die in prison. Conor has other ideas and begins to plan a way to escape. You see, Conor has always been interested in flight, and has always wanted to design an airship. Hot hair balloons are a rarity and no one has successfully built a flying machine. But, Conor thinks he can ... and it'll be his way to freedom.

Airman is way different that Artemis Fowl. There's no smart-aleck Artemis, no strong and silent Butler, no heroic Holly, but I still loved it. I enjoyed the richly depicted characters, even the evil ones. I felt like I was there in the stinking prison, having to dive for pearls, worried if I'd live until tomorrow. I miss the humor that is always a part of the Artemis Fowl books, but I found I could overlook it. The story was just that fulfilling.

My grade? An 'A', Highly Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment