Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis

I decided to revisit the world of Narnia this year. I hadn't read the Narnia books since I was a student in elementary and middle school, and while I remember enjoying them at the time, the only one that really stuck with me all those years was The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. And, maybe that was because I remember the animated movie that I watched as a child. No, not the Disney one, nor the live-action one from the BBC. This one was from the late-70's and was entirely animated. Don't remember it? That's okay -- you're probably not the only one. Anyway, back to the Narnia books. I started reading the series in the chronological order, rather than in publication order and that meant starting with The Magician's Nephew, which was a new way for me to go.



I've just finished with The Horse and His Boy and came away thinking it was a good stand-alone adventure. I don't really think it can be appreciated as well in between The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian, because, frankly it gets lost in the shuffle. It's definitely not as strong a story as those other two and doesn't have as dynamic characters. That's not to say it's not a worthwhile story with plenty of action. It's just not going to stand out in the midst of those. I give it a 'B', Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment