Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Being Nikki by Meg Cabot

Being Nikki (Airhead, #2)Being Nikki, the follow-up to Airhead, continues Em's story as she adjusts to her new life in the body of famed teen supermodel Nikki Howard. When Nikki's brother arrives in New York City looking for help in locating their missing mother, Em becomes embroiled in intrigue as to what really did happen to Nikki, why Em's brain was transplanted into her body, and what Robert Stark and Stark Enterprises has to do with it.

Okay, suspend your disbelief once again with the whole body transplant thing. I know, that's completely out there, but I completely forgot the silliness of that while reading Being Nikki. The story tiptoes away from the whole tomboy-in-a-supermodel-body gag and develops into a suspense-filled romantic adventure. I loved how the humor took the edge off of some what might have otherwise been intense moments. Some of the secondary characters are stepping into the spotlight and stealing the show, especially Lulu. She's fabulous and highly entertaining. The ending is another cliffhanger, which I hate, because it leaves you desperate to get your hands on the next installment of the series. (Yes, I've already preordered Runaway.)

Fans of Meg Cabot will adore Being Nikki as much as I did. Highly entertaining and humorous, it was a fabulous escape from a dreary day. The only reason I didn't give it an A stems from the crazy backstory of the whole body transplant. Yes, I still can't completely get over that. But, it's a strong B+ for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment