Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Let's All Go to the Movies

Here's a heads-up of some movies, based on teen or children's novels, scheduled for release this fall:


    ** Trailers can be seen at the film's web site.

    Flipped
    Based on the novel by Wendelin Van Draanen
    Release date: August 27
    Web site
            *My thoughts: This novel has been very popular here at middle school, and has withstood the test of time.  (Published in 2001.) The novel is appropriate for 5th - 8th grade, but will still entertain adults. I've read some rumors that it might not be widely released, since the limited release numbers were disappointing, but I hope that's not true.

    Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
    Based on the novels by Kathryn Lasky
    Release date: September 24
    Web site
        *My thoughts: I haven't read these series of books, but I do remember some students being excited about them about 3-4 years ago, especially boys. I'm guessing with the release of this movie, they will regain some of their popularity. The movie will be released in 2D and 3D.

    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
    Based on the novel by JK Rowling
    Release date: November 19
    Web site
            *My thoughts: The Harry Potter series continue to be extremely popular, and the films add to that popularity. The films in this series have all been fine works, with excellent casting choices and (mostly) superb special effects. I hope that the final two films will continue this trend. Part 2 is set to release in July 2011. Following the latest trend, HP7 will also be released in 2D, 3D, and 3D IMAX.

    The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    Based on the novel by CS Lewis
    Release date: December 10
    Web site
        *My thoughts: Looks like another visually stunning film in the Narnia series. And yes, ANOTHER film being released in 2D & 3D. Why am I not surprised?
I probably have missed a few, but I hope to have hit the highlights. I'll be sure to let you know about upcoming spring releases as well.  The movie based on one of my favorite novels, BEASTLY, is set for release in March. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment