Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Frozen Fire by Tim Bowler

Frozen Fire

I picked up Frozen Fire to read, because the blurb on the cover sounded so good.

 "It starts with a phone call. 'I'm dying,' a voice tells Dusty. Who is he and how did he get her number? Dusty wants no part of this strange boy...until he begins saying things that only someone who knows her intimately could say."

 Um, yes, I was intrigued.

Dusty is at home by herself late New Year's Eve when she gets a strange phone call. The boy on the other end tells her he's dying and that he just wants to talk with her as the overdose takes effect. He won't tell her his name and when she persists, he tells her his name is Josh -- her missing brother's name. He tells her things that only she and Josh knew, which makes her curious. Josh disappeared over two years ago and no one has seen or heard from him since that time. As she becomes more and more intrigued by the mystery boy, she hears unsettling rumors about him. Who is he? Are any of the weird stories about him true? Why do some vigilantes arrive in town looking for the boy?

There are plenty of weird things that happen to Dusty. Yes, the mystery surrounding Dusty's brother's disappearance is one of he mysteries, but the bigger one is probably the mystery boy himself. Who is he? Why is he there? I could never figure out who he was -- maybe an angel, maybe a demon?? Frankly, I felt so confused by the plot that I could never really enjoy it. There were just too many 'huh, what?' moments for me. It's disappointing, because the opening is just so fabulous. In the end, I give it a C, just an average book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment