Thursday, September 16, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #1)
I held out for a very long time, before reading any of the Wimpy Kid books. I wasn't sure I was going to like them, no matter how much kids raved about them. I finally broke down and decided to read the first one, just to "see." I sure was curious as to why these books appeal to all kids, boys or girls, high or low ability. Well, it didn't take me long to understand.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a super fast read, and I finished it in one sitting. Not only is it easy to read, but the story keeps your interest and you hate to put it down. The illustrations on each page enhance the story, so that each are integral to the action. I felt like you couldn't have one without the other.  Honestly, I was feeling Greg's pain, even though I'm not a boy and not in sixth grade. I think everyone can understand the feelings of uncertainty Greg faces starting middle school and looking for a way to make himself stand out from the others and at the same time fit in.

Excellent story, written in the ideal format (a combination of journal and comic), Diary of a Wimpy Kid deserves all the raves and attention. Now, I must read more about Greg, but finding these books on the shelf may be the hardest part. I give it a B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment