Thursday, September 9, 2010

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Inside Out (Inside Out, #1)
Trella's a scrub. Her life is filled with endless hours of cleaning the pipes and trying to attract the least attention. That way, you don't get hurt and you don't die. The Pop Cops control everything in the life of a scrub, from when to work to what you eat. Trella's heard all her life about the mysterious outside and the rumors of a secret exit. Frankly, she thinks it's all made-up stories to give the scrubs false hope. When her friend Cog introduces her to a new prophet, called Broken Man, Trella's life is changed forever. Suddenly, her days of being invisible and only worried about finding time and a place to be alone are no more. She's thrust into the center of an uprising that leaves her as the #1 target of the Pop Cops.

I love SF stories, which is why I picked up Inside Out. The story is very easy to read, flowing smoothly from one chapter to the next. There's plenty of action and an intriguing mystery to keep even the most reluctant reader's attention. While I found Inside Out entertaining, I kept thinking in the back of my mind that I'd read this story before. Yes, I could predict almost exactly what would happen next. Maybe it's because I have read a lot of SF -- it's a familiar theme and setting for this genre. I don't think it takes a great deal away from the enjoyment of the story, and would be just a minor negative for me.

Inside Out, while maybe not completely original in plot, gets a 'B' from me for it's fast-paced style and ease in reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment