Thursday, September 9, 2010

Twilight : The Graphic Novel, Volume 1 by Stephenie Meyer, Art & Adaptation by Young Kim

Twilight: The Graphic Novel # 1 (Twilight the Graphic Novel, #1)
I am so sick and tired of the Twilight mania, not that I didn't like reading the books. By now, most everyone knows the basic plot, whether they've read the book, watched the movie, heard someone talk about it, or maybe see or read a parody. I did enjoy them, but I don't get the total obsession with them. That said, I did attempt to read this graphic novel version of Twilight, part one with fresh eyes.

Obviously, this is only the first book in a series, for it only partially tells the story told in Twilight. From what I could tell, it pretty much stays faithful to the original storyline. I could detect a few homages to the film version, but I didn't get the impression of being overdone or solely relying on it.

The book's definitely uses the artwork to give the reader more insight into Bella's feelings and moods. I especially liked the use of colors to emphasize a dreamlike feeling. The frames where some images are sharp, while others are blurry help to highlight some of Bella's confusion and to make the reader key right in on certain plot points or characters.

I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. I could tell that thought went into how and why of the images, and it wasn't a slapdash attempt to cash in on the popularity of Twilight. I give it a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment