Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn

A Kiss in Time
Ever since I read Beastly, I've wanted to read more from Alex Flinn. Especially another retold fairy tale. I got my chance with A Kiss in Time.

What if an American teen boy is in Belgium as part of a European tour his parents forced on him? What if he comes across an abandoned old castle when he slips away from the tour for a day? What if he happens to find a sleeping princess in that castle and awakens this princess who has been asleep for over 300 years? What if she now thinks he's her true love and that they should marry? What happens when she goes home to Miami with him?

This contemporary retelling of Sleeping Beauty answers these questions and more. It's funny, but with serious undertones. Talia's struggle to accept and adapt to all the changes brought about in 300 years add a humorous tone tot he story. While Jack's dysfunctional relationship with his family is only emphasized when Talia is added to the family dynamics. While the story is engaging, there are a few spots where I felt like it dragged a bit. But, fortunately they didn't last and it quickly picked up again.

A Kiss in Time doesn't quite match Beastly in my opinion, but it's still a great story. I'd recommend it for anyone who likes to read retold fairy tales. It's a 'B' book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment